Starting a New Student Organization
Like pre-requisites for your classes, there are things that you should do before you apply to be a registered student organization.
- Recruit Members
- As of January 29, 2019 all student organization applying to be a new organization or re-register an existing student organization must have 10 members.
- Organizations that are not able to or choose not to maintain 10 members on their official HornsLink roster must participate in the Org Coaching Program. For more information, please review the Org Coaching Program (pdf) guidelines.
- Information and recommendations on recruiting new members are available on the "Recruitment and Retention of Members" section of the "Leading Successful Organizations" web page.
- Write A Constitution
- As of January 29, 2019 all student organizations applying to be a new organization or re-register an existing student organization must submit a constitution as part of their registration.
- Writing your propose organization's constitution prior to submitting your registration application will stream-line the application process.
- A model constitution and guidelines are available on the "Constitutions" section of the "Leading Successful Organizations" web page.
Complete the following steps to form a registered student organization:
- Attend Officer Orientation
- Login to www.hornslink.org. Events will not appear if you do not login.
- Click "Events" and search for "Officer Orientation"
- Select the date you wish to attend
- Submit your RSVP response in the right column
- Submit a new student organization application
Do not submit an application until you have attended Officer Orientation.
- Login to www.hornslink.org
- Click "Organizations"
- Click on the "Register a New Organization" button in the left column
- Click on the "Register a New Organization" at the bottom
- Follow the registration instructions
- Submit the $20 application fee
- Online: http://bit.ly/DOStxshop. Click on New Registered Student Organization Application Fee, or
- In Person: Visit the Student Organization Center at 2609 University Avenue with exact cash or a check made out to UT Austin.
Once steps 1-3 have been completed and if no Institutional Rules violations have surfaced, it will take two weeks to process your application. The Student Activities staff will email you when your organization is approved.
Please contact the Student Organization Center at 512-471-3065 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Sponsored Student Organizations
Sponsored student organizations are student organizations that have a designated and acknowledged partnership with a university academic or administrative unit. Sponsorship by academic or administrative units requires support, endorsement, supervision, and the assumption of responsibility for the actions and activities of the student organization. To apply for sponsorship, a new student organization will need to complete the application process above and then the Student Organization Sponsorship Application Form. An existing registered student organization will start with the Student Organization Sponsorship Application Form. This form is only for organizations applying for sponsorship for the first time.
Renewal of sponsorship is required annually, April 1 – April 22. The application for renewal is embedded in the Student Organization Annual Registration process and does not require a separate form.
If you are unable to open the pdf above download Adobe Acrobat Reader.