Frequently Asked Questions
Use the links below to jump down the page.
- Student Organization Center
- Reservations and Events
- Operating Resources for Student Organizations
- Student Organization Travel
- University COVID-19 and Fall 2020 Resources
Student Organization Center
Is the Student Organization Center open?
No, the Student Organization Center (UA9 2.112) is closed until further notice. Student Activities will continue to serve students virtually.
When is Annual Registration?
Annual Registration for student organizations took place from April 15th to May 29th. Organizations that did not complete the annual registration process during that time will be frozen. Frozen organizations are still able to complete annual registration but will remain frozen until they have completed the process*. Frozen organizations will not have the privileges that are granted to student organizations, such as reserving rooms.
To complete Annual Registration:
- Go to www.hornslink.org, and log-in using your UT EID and password.
- Go to your student organization's page, and click "Manage Organization."
- Click the blue "Re-register this organization" button.
- Complete the form provided, and click "Submit."
- Pay the $20 Annual Registration fee. This can be paid:
- online at http://bit.ly/DOStxshop. Click "Annual Registration"; or
- with an IDT from your sponsoring department. IDTs can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following information:
- Student Organization Name:
- Department Name:
- Department Staff Member Authorizing Payment:
- Subject of Payment: Annual Registration
- Amount: $20
- Account Number:
- If your organization cannot pay the $20 fee at this time, you can defer the payment to the Fall. Please select "Defer payment to the Fall semester" on your Annual Registration application. You'll be notified of the payment date.
*Annual Registration is not complete until your submission has been reviewed and approved by Student Activities staff and your payment has been received. Please allow 2-3 business days for processing.
My organization is Frozen in HornsLink, what should I do?
Organizations are frozen for a number of reasons, including but not limited to: having less than three officers, less than 10 members, outstanding financial bill, failure to complete Safety Education and failure to complete annual registration.
If you are unsure if you've completed Safety Education, please visit the Safety Education Check Your Status page to verify. If your organization is marked "incomplete," email Safety Education with the full name of your organization to learn your next steps.
If your organization is marked "complete" please email Student Activities with the full name of your organization to learn how to resolve other issues.
Reservations and Events
Can my organization reserve space for summer 2020?
No. Reservations for summer 2020 are not being accepted. See the Operating Resources for Student Organizations section for a list of resources for engaging with your organization. This resource is updated frequently.
When will the reservation system open for Fall 2020?
Space reservations for Fall Semester 2020 are now open. As a student organization, you have access to hundreds of reservable spaces across campus to help your organization host events and activities, recruit new members and promote your causes.
Please note, reservations may be modified or canceled due to altered building hours, physical distancing requirements, and/or university, city, county and state guidelines.
Below you will find a list of facilities that will be accepting fall reservation requests. Please refer to the information listed under each facility and contact them directly with any questions.
- 2609 University Avenue (UA9)
- To review all UA9 reservation policies and meeting room rules visit Meeting Rooms and Equipment
- General Purpose Classrooms
- Hogg Memorial Auditorium (HMA)
- Outdoor Space/A-Frames/Banner Space/Jester Concourse
- Student Services Building (SSB)
- Table Check Out at FAC and Gregory Gym
- University tables are available for use in the West Mall and Gregory Gym Plaza. These tables may be checked out from the Flawn Academic Center (FAC) and Gregory Gym, respectively. They cannot be reserved in advance. Updates regarding availability of tables in the fall will be outlined on Reservations and Publicity when available.
- The Texas Union (UNB)
- William C. Powers, Jr. Student Activity Center
Operating Resources for Student Organizations
How can my organization connect with each other if our members cannot meet in person?
Our friendships and connections are more important than ever during challenging times like these. We encourage you to make plans with your organization to connect regularly using tools like Microsoft Teams, Zoom, etc.. Even if we're not together, we can connect and support each other.
How can my organization use HornsLink to stay connected with our members and the campus community through events and meetings?
HornsLink has several tools and features that student organizations can use (some may not apply to your org). We've highlighted a few tools here:
- Host a Meeting/Event: If you are hosting an virtual meeting, you can promote it by Creating a New Event for Your Organization in HornsLink. This let's members and the UT community know that you are hosting a meeting and they are invited to attend. Note, when submitting online meetings/event, you must provide the meeting link to the platform (Zoom, Microsoft Teams, etc.) at the time of submission. Be sure to familiarize yourself with security and privacy tools of the selected platform to manage attendance and prevent disruptions.
- Host Your Organization Elections: See our HornsLink Election Guide under Student Elections on the Leading Successful Organizations page.
- Publish a News Story: Use the News Tool to share any updates or important announcements, such as applications or organization accomplishments (i.e. awards, recognition etc.). Don't forget, if your organization does "a member of the week/month" post on social, you can also post it on HornsLink.
- Add Photos: Show off the exiting things your organization has done by adding photos from past activities and meetings to your organizations profile.
I need help managing my organization. Are there any resources available?
We are here to help, and we know that leading a student organization can be challenging. You can email Student Activities to set up a Zoom meeting and/or visit our Leading Successful Organizations page for resources on the following topics and more:
- Co-sponsoring Events Checklist
- Constitution Writing Guidelines
- Financial Education Module
- Goal Setting Guide
- Running an Effective Meeting Guide
- Student Organization Elections Guide
The Leadership and Ethics Institute is also accepting requests for online workshops for your organizations.
Student Organization Travel
Can my student organization travel?
No. The university has prohibited university business travel, both domestic and international, through December 31, 2020. The domestic travel ban includes car travel. Visit Texas Global for more information about international travel.
University COVID-19 and Fall 2020 Resources
How can I stay up to date with the latest information regarding COVID-19?
The university is frequently adding new information, policies, and messages to the COVID-19 Updates website.
If you have questions about symptoms, transmission and prevention, or are looking for information about staying well while staying home, visit University Health Services.
How can I stay up to date with the latest information regarding Fall 2020 Planning?
The university is frequently adding new information regarding Fall 2020 planning on the Fall 2020 Planning Updates website.