Sponsored Student Organizations
Sponsored student organizations are student organizations that have a designated and acknowledged partnership with a university academic or administrative unit. Sponsorship by academic or administrative units requires support, endorsement, supervision, and the assumption of responsibility for the actions and activities of the sponsored student organization. Sponsorship may not be extended to student organizations involved in political or religious activities or in projects for private gain. Rules regarding sponsorship are found in section 6-101(10) of The University of Texas at Austin Institutional Rules on Student Services and Activities.
There are benefits to becoming a sponsored student organization, such as:
- an advisor assigned to the sponsored student organization;
- possible funding or resources;
- funding support in the form of an accountant;
- general resources, such as office space, technology resources and support, reservation of space in department controlled facilities, ability to request use of trademark with permission from Trademark Licensing; and
- tax status of the university extended to the sponsored student organization.
Potential benefits for academic or administrative units working with a sponsored student organization include having:
- the mission of the sponsored student organization aligning with the mission of the academic or administrative unit;
- the sponsored student organization promoting departmental initiatives; and
- the sponsored student organization helping with student retention within the academic or administrative unit.
In order to be sponsored by The University of Texas at Austin, an authorized representative of the registered student organization must complete the following steps:
- Authorized representatives must meet with representatives from the potential sponsoring academic or administrative unit to discuss sponsorship.
- Annually register the student organization.
- Annually renew sponsorship from April 1 - April 22 by submitting the Student Organization Sponsorship Request Form (UT EID required).
Authorized representatives of registered student organizations who are interested in seeking sponsorship by an academic or administrative unit are welcome to make an appointment with a Student Activities staff member.