The Sorority and Fraternity Life Awards
The Sorority and Fraternity Life Awards are designed to recognize outstanding Greek individuals, chapters, councils, and advisors. The awards celebrate the achievements of our Greek community with award categories in service, scholastic achievement, community building, and leadership. The 2023 SFL Awards are awarded based on the achievements during the 2022 calendar year.
2023 Award Categories
Chapter Awards applications are evaluated based on membership size in order to recognize more organizations doing excellent work in our community. Each award can be awarded to up to three chapters. These awards recognize individual chapters demonstrating excellence in the following ways:
This award seeks to highlight the outstanding contributions of a sorority or fraternity in the UT Austin community. This chapter exemplifies their mission, values, and purpose, and has made a significant impact in the sorority and fraternity community.
- In order to be eligible for Chapter of the Year, a Chapter must apply for 3 out of the other 5 Chapter Award categories.
- This award includes a $300 prize supported by the Transforming Texas Greeks fund
- Chapter promotes, sponsors and/or participates in programming and activities related to diversity, multiculturalism, cultural consciousness, and/or social justice
- Diversity at The University of Texas at Austin encompasses an inclusive and welcoming environment that is enhanced by persons who differ in gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, socio-economic background, ability, sexual orientation, and gender identity or expression, and religious belief
- Chapter provides relevant programming to members in areas that meet the needs or interests of members. Chapter strives to provide innovative programming through interactive formats such as speakers, workshops, panel discussions, webinars, etc. This may include a single program such as a speaker, or may include a series of events.
- Chapter engages members to participate in hands-on service or in philanthropic efforts to support chosen non-profit organization. Chapter demonstrates excellence in providing service opportunities for members or establishing a commitment to philanthropic causes and fundraising
- Chapter creates a strong sense of siblinghood which includes a sense of connection, care, and belonging among members. Chapter fosters siblinghood through organized events, mentorship, and informal bonding among members. Submissions should demonstrate how a chapter goes above and beyond to cultivate their chapter culture around siblinghood.
- Chapter has established an effective program or implemented initiatives that educate members on risk management and safety topics including:
- Mitigating risks
- Developing a culture of responsible decision making and accountability
- Promoting member safety within their chapter- including COVID-19 mitigation and public health efforts
- All programs and initiatives, regardless of format (virtual, in-person, hybrid) will be considered and should be included in the application
Individual AwardsEach award can be given to both a fraternity and sorority member. Applications can be filled out by the individual themselves or by another person on their behalf. These awards recognize individuals in the sorority and fraternity community that exemplify a special commitment to the following values:
- Chapter president served during 2022 calendar year and demonstrated strong chapter leadership, the ability to motivate others, strong character, and high ideals. This president exemplifies the mission, values and purpose of their own organization and have made a significant impact in the sorority and fraternity community overall.
- Nominees for this award exhibit and uphold their organizational values, purpose, ritual, and mission through their everyday actions and challenges others to do the same. A nominee leads by example (not necessarily a positional leader within the chapter) and is a member that the chapter respects and admires.
- Awarded to an individual who joined the organization between January 2022-December 2022. This individual shows great potential for future leadership through their contributions to their chapter, sorority and fraternity community, and the university.
- Nominees for this award demonstrate excellence by taking advantage of on- and off campus pre-professional opportunities. Examples would include internships, research initiatives, co-ops, or other pursuits related to their professional or academic field. Nominee should showcase how this opportunity is advancing their professional and/or academic career.
- Individual serves the organization in an advisory or volunteer capacity and serves as a role model for the organization. Advisor or volunteer displays hard work and dedication towards helping improve the chapter and its members as well as the greater Sorority and Fraternity Life community.