Student Conduct Process
As authorized by the Board of Regents of The University of Texas System, the Office of the Dean of Students is responsible for the administration of student discipline, which is implemented by Student Conduct and Academic Integrity.
Student Conduct and Academic Integrity routinely receives reports of alleged violations of university rules from campus offices (e.g., University of Texas Police Department, University Housing and Dining, Information Technology Services, Parking and Transportation Services, etc.) as well as faculty and students.
Steps in the Process
Step 1: Referral
When our team receives a referral regarding an alleged violation, a conduct administrator will send out a letter to request that a student contact our staff to schedule a meeting. In most cases this initial letter will include the date, time, and location of the incident, and the alleged Institutional Rule violations. Before meeting with a member of our team, a student may request to meet with a Peer Ambassador or the Student Ombuds for support and a brief overview of the conduct process.
Step 2: Meeting
During the initial meeting with a member of our team, the student will have the opportunity to:
- Review their responsibilities as it relates to the conduct process.
- Respond to the allegations.
- Inspect and review the information provided to Student Conduct.
- Provide relevant documentation related to the incident and allegations.
- Have an advisor present.
- Resolve the incident immediately.
Step 3: Resolution
During the same meeting, if the student conduct administrator has determined that the preponderance of the evidence does suggest that a violation occurred, a student will be presented with an administrative disposition that lists their three resolution options:
- For the first option, the student accepts responsibility for the violation and the outcomes determined by the student conduct administrator.
- For the second option, the student accepts responsibility for the violation but reserves the right to appeal only the outcomes, as listed in Institutional Rules Section 11-802.
- And finally, the student can elect not to sign the administrative disposition and request a hearing, only for eligible cases. Students and the Dean of Students can appeal the decision in accordance with Institutional Rules Subchapter 11-800.
Student Conduct Process Flowchart
Click on the image below for a pdf flowchart of the student conduct process.