Office of the Dean of Students          

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get my GI Bill benefits started?
You must apply to use your educational benefits through the VA at

I have a parent who is a veteran.  How can I receive VA education benefits because of their military service?
Visit the Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) Program (Chapter 35) and Transfer Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) to Spouse and Dependents web sites for additional information.

How long does it take for me to start receiving money from my VA benefits?
The Office of the Registrar certifies students' enrollments to the VA in the order requests are received. After you registered for courses and submitted your paperwork, it takes approximately 15 business days for the university to certify your courses to the VA.  Afterwards, it takes the VA another 30 to 45 days to process your GI Bill award.

Who do I contact if I have questions about my GI Bill account?
Please call the VA educational hotline at (888) GI-BILL-1 for information about your GI Bill account.  Our office is not allowed to contact them on your behalf. 

How can I receive my VA benefits as fast as possible each semester?
Make sure you complete the GI Bill Questionnaire and upload your most recent awards letter as soon as you register for classes.

How is the process different if I'm using the Montgomery GI Bill?
Chapters 30, 1606, and 1607 recipients must verify attendance on a monthly basis. You may confirm your monthly school attendance using the Web Automated Verification Enrollment (WAVE) system or by calling (800) 823-2378.

What do I do if the VA has not paid my tuition by the tuition deadline?
The university's certifying officials will process your benefits within 15 business days of you submitting your GI Bill Questionnaire and uploading all required documents.  This process will place a 60-day tuition deferment on your Student Accounts Receivable account.  In cases where the submittal of your GI Bill Questionnaire and required documents are within 15 business days of the tuition deadline, or any other case that may cause you to have a balance on your tuition bill, you will be responsible for paying the tuition bill before the deadline date/time.  If your tuition is not paid by the tuition deadline, your classes will be automatically dropped.  Any payments you make will be reimbursed to you after your benefits are processed and the VA has paid the university for your tuition.  Contact Student Accounts Receivable for information about reimbursements.

What if I must drop a class?
A change in your class schedule may affect your VA benefits.  After initial certification, all students using VA benefits will be recertified after the census date (12th class day for long semesters and the 4th class day for summer terms) in order to accommodate course changes during the add/drop periods.  Frequent changes of schedule can often cause a student to receive an overpayment of benefits that the VA will require the student to pay back.
If you drop a class after the 12th class date (long semesters) or 4th class date (summer terms), you may be required to repay the tuition and fees for that class.  Contact us if you have any questions.

How will my military credits transfer to UT?
Your military transcripts are required in your admission application. The university awards credit for educational experiences during military service according to the recommendations of the American Council on Education and your degree plan.  Most credits may not transfer.

Can I qualify for financial aid even though I receive VA benefits?
Yes.  You must apply for financial aid  in order to for the university to determine your eligibility for financial aid.  Eligibility and financial aid options will vary by student.  If you only qualify for student loans, you have the option to decline them.

What is considered full-, ¾-, ½-, and less than half- time?
Undergraduate:  Full-time: 12 or more; ¾-time: 9; ½-time: 6

Graduate:  Full-time: 9 (Summer: 3); ¾-time: 6-8; ½-time: 5 (Summer: 2)

Law School: Full-time: 9 (Summer: 6); ¾-time: 6-8 (Summer: 4-5); ½-time: 5 (Summer: 3)

Medical School:  Medical school students are certified as full-time.  The Dell Medical School provides the dates of enrollment and credit hours values.

What if I'm also taking classes at another college?
All students pursuing a degree at The University of Texas at Austin but taking courses at another institution must complete a Parent Institution Form to use VA benefits for those courses.  After completing Step 1 of the form, you may email it to or return it to the veteran certification team in the Office of the Registrar for processing.  

Does the VA make me pay money back when I receive Incomplete or F grades?
Maybe.  If you receive an incomplete (grade of "X") for a class and it turns into a permanent incomplete (grade of "I") or no credit (NC), the VA requires that the university Registrar report it as a non-punitive grade.  Consequently, the VA may determine your benefits to be overpaid for that semester and request repayment from you.

If you had mitigating circumstances that prevented you from attending, please contact our office for assistance.

Does the VA pay for courses I repeat?
The VA will not pay for you to repeat any courses that you have successfully completed.  Letter grades of A, B, C, and D are passing.  Exception: Some courses require a specific minimum grade.

Does the VA pay for remedial courses?
The VA will pay for remedial courses if the course has not previously been successfully completed, and the student's degree audit shows the course is needed to graduate.

I am failing one of my courses.  How can I get help?
Contact our office to set up a tutoring appointment.

Can I study abroad using my VA benefits?
If the program counts toward the student's degree plan, and is at a VA approved school, then the student may qualify.

How do I get in-state tuition?
In-state tuition is given to students who are using federal educational benefits.  The student should provide the Residency Office with the their most recent COE or awards letter and a letter stating that they intend to become a Texas resident.  These may be emailed to  In-state tuition must be processed before the university's certifying officials can process your VA benefits.