Education Benefits Certification Process
Veteran or Servicemember Using VA Benefits
New veteran or servicemember using federal education benefits
First, apply for your specific benefit:
UT's Address (for the VA application): 1 University Station, Austin, TX 78712
- Application for VA benefits (va.gov)
- *Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation) eligibility/application is determined by VA Vocational Rehabilitation Office
Then, after you submit your application, the VA will mail you your Certificate of Eligibility (or Award Letter) to your home of record. That letter should arrive about one month after you have applied. Then, after you register for classes here, complete your Online Questionnaire and upload in the document upload section:
- Your Certificate of Eligibility (or Award Letter) from the VA. (If not available, a copy of your eBenefits Award Page (for Post 9/11 GI Bill® users only), or the confirmation page from the online VA application page that it has been submitted)
- DD 214 member 4, or Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE)
- Military transcripts (Air Force members and veterans click here)
- Graduate School Students: Letter from your academic advisor certifying that all of your classes count toward your degree (MBA and Law Students do not need this letter).
Your VA veteran's educational benefits should take about four weeks to come in. Contact Veteran and Military Affiliated Services at 512-232-2835 if your benefits have not been applied to your tuition bill by the week that your tuition is due.
- Complete your Online Questionnaire
- Upload your most recent Certificate of Eligibility (or Award Letter) from the VA in the document upload section of the Online Questionnaire.
- Confirm your attendance on the tuition bill page by deadline date.
Concurrent Enrollment – Parent Institution Form
Students who want to utilize their VA education benefits at another institution while primarily enrolled at UT Austin must complete the Parent Institution Form. Please visit the Texas One Stop website for additional information about concurrent enrollments and to complete the Parent Institution Form.