Education Benefits Certification Process
Dependent Using VA Benefits
New dependent using federal education benefits
First, apply for your specific benefit:
- UT's Address (for the VA application): 1 University Station, Austin, TX 78712
- Application for VA benefits (va.gov)
Then, after you submit your application, the VA will mail you your Certificate of Eligibility (or Award Letter) to your home of record. That letter should arrive about one month after you have applied. Then, after you register for classes here, complete your ONLINE QUESTIONNAIRE and upload in the document upload section:
- Your Certificate of Eligibility (or Award Letter) from the VA, or the confirmation page from the online VA application page that it has been submitted)
- Graduate School Students: Letter from your academic advisor certifying that all of your classes count toward your degree (MBA and Law Students do not need this letter).
Your VA veteran's educational benefits should take about four weeks to come in. Contact Student Veteran Services at 512-232-2835 if your benefits have not been applied to your tuition bill by the week that your tuition is due.
- Complete your ONLINE QUESTIONNAIRE
- Upload your most recent Certificate of Eligibility (or Award Letter) from the VA in the document upload section of the Online Questionnaire.
- Confirm your attendance in your tuition bill by deadline date.
Using your VA benefits at another college or university
On the Parent Institution Form (pdf), complete Part A and the courses you will take at another institution on Part B. This form can then be sent to the Registrar at email@example.com. The Registrar will send the form to Admissions for signature and will work with you to get the remaining portions completed. Once the form is complete, please submit it to the veteran certification office of your other institution.