Office of the Dean of Students          

  Office of the Dean of Students -> Veteran and Military Affiliated Services -> Dependent Using the Spouse / Dependent Hazlewood Act Exemption

Dependent Using the Spouse / Dependent Hazlewood Act Exemption

The Spouse/Dependent Hazlewood Act is a State of Texas benefit for the spouse / child of a veteran who is 100% total and permanently service-connected disabled as determined by the VA with a current Summary Benefits Letter as proof, or Missing in Action (MIA), or Killed in Action (KIA). 

It provides qualified spouses and dependent children with an education benefit of up to 150 hours of tuition exemption, including most fee charges, at public institutions of higher education in Texas.  This does NOT include living expenses, books, or supply fees. 

Please visit the Texas Veterans Commission Hazlewood Act web page for eligibility requirements.

The University of Texas at Austin uses an electronic Hazlewood Application.  We will NOT accept the paper application found on the Texas Veteran Commission website.

Application Requirements

To apply for the Hazlewood Exemption, applicants must:

Application Deadline

The application deadline, including all supporting documents, is 5:00 p.m. of the last class day, as published in the academic calendar, for the semester or term to which the exemption applies.    

We recommend that you complete and submit your application at least 4 weeks before the tuition deadline so the veteran certification team can process your application before tuition is due.  You can apply to use the Hazlewood Act exemption for multiple semesters beginning in the summer term (e.g., summer, fall, spring).

Applying the Hazlewood Exemption to Your Tuition Bill

After your application is approved and processed, Student Accounts Receivable (SAR) will post it to My Tuition Bill.  Even if your tuition bill shows a zero balance ($0), you must follow the prompts on My Tuition Bill to complete your registration.  Your tuition bill must say "Your registration is complete and your courses are secured" before the tuition deadline.  If you do not take the necessary steps to complete your registration, your courses will be cancelled and you will have to register again.  Late registration fees will apply.  Hazelwood Act does not exempt late registration fees. 

First-Time Hazlewood Use at the University

  1. Before you apply, take some time to gather the documentation needed (listed below) to complete the exemption application.  You will be able to upload PDF, JPG, JPEG, or PNG formatted documents.  Different documentation may be required of each student depending on their exemption type.  For example: copies of a marriage certificate, veteran's DD-1300 (Report of Casualty), veteran's death certificate, VA Certificate of Eligibility, or VA letters (Letter of Disability, Montgomery/Post-9/11 Proof of Remaining Entitlement, etc.).
    • A copy of the veteran's DD-214 (Member 4), or DD-1300 if service member died prior to discharge.
    • Proof of Dependency (e.g., the student's birth certificate, adoption papers, or the veteran's IRS tax transcript).
    • A copy/screenshot of the TVC Hazlewood Registration confirmation screen for the student.  If you have previously used the Hazlewood Exemption at another institution, provide a copy/screenshot of your total hours used from the Hazlewood Student Hours website.
    • Provide proof of eligibility or ineligibility for GI Bill® benefits by requesting a certificate of eligibility for federal education benefits from (if veteran has active-duty service after 9/11/2001).
  2. Once you have gathered the documents mentioned above, create your Hazlewood Application by choosing the application description that best applies to you and the semester(s) you are applying for.  You may apply for multiple semesters (summer/fall/spring sequence).

Continuing Hazlewood Use at the University

Students continuing Hazlewood Act use at the university must ensure they have submitted a Hazlewood Application for each semester or term they intend to use the Hazlewood Exemption and upload proof that the veteran resides in Texas (Legacy Act users).  You can upload a recent copy of a utility bill, voter registration card, valid driver license, or valid state identification card to the document upload portion of the Hazlewood Application to show residence status.

You may apply for multiple semesters (summer/fall/spring sequence).  You can verify your currently submitted applications from the Hazlewood Exemption Application and Status page.