Student Emergency Fund
Entirely dependent upon donations, the Student Emergency Fund provides limited emergency financial assistance to a small number of currently enrolled UT Austin students who are unable to meet immediate, essential expenses because of temporary hardship related to an emergency situation. Some funds are counted as income and are subject to federal taxes.
Funding comes from the generous donations of fellow UT Austin students at the annual Party on the Plaza event, as well from faculty and staff support via the Hearts of Texas Campaign. Average award amounts range from $25-$150 per student.
Types of Expenses that May Be Covered:
A range of incidents may result in financial hardships. Typical expenses that may be covered include but are not limited to:
- Medications/Prescriptions or costs related to medical care
- Assistance with rent or utilities due to an emergency situation
- Books, fees or other school-related expenses
- Safety related needs (i.e. changing a lock on vehicle or home)
- Replacement of personal belongings due to fire or natural disaster
- Applicant must be a currently enrolled student at The University of Texas at Austin and have temporary financial hardship resulting from an emergency situation
- Other possible resources have been considered and are either unavailable or insufficient
- Applicant must be able to provide sufficient documentation of financial hardship