Summer School Orientation FAQs
When is Summer School Orientation?
Is orientation mandatory for freshman?
- Yes, all new freshman students entering the summer term are required to attend Summer School Orientation
Is a fee required to attend Summer School Orientation?
- No additional fee is required to attend
- Registration is required to attend the Summer School Orientation
- Registration closes Thursday, May 30, 2013, at midnight
Where can I access a schedule of events for Summer School Orientation?
Are there immunization requirements I have to meet before I can register for classes?
- Entering UT Austin students who will be age 29 or younger on the first day of classes of fall 2013 (8/28/13) are barred from registering for classes unless
- They have had a meningococcal (bacterial meningitis) vaccine, and
- The vaccine was administered within five years of the first day of classes of fall 2013 (on or after 8/28/08)
- Submit your documentation to UHS at least two weeks before your registration date
- Make a copy of the documents you send to UHS, and bring it with you to orientation
- Go to http://www.healthyhorns.utexas.edu/requiredvaccine/ for details about
- Exclusions and possible exemptions
- Acceptable documentation to prove vaccination or exemption
- How to submit your documentation
- How to check whether it has been processed by UHS
- International students have additional medical clearance requirements. Find them at http://www.healthyhorns.utexas.edu/internationalstudents.html
- If you are unable satisfy the requirements beforehand, call University Health Services at 512-475-8301 to schedule an appointment on or before the first day of orientation
- Call ahead as appointments are limited. Charges apply
When do I register for summer classes?
- June 4 and 5
- To complete registration, undergraduate students must pay tuition and fees by 5 p.m., on June 5, 2013
- Students may view the Summer 2013 Course Schedule online at http://registrar.utexas.edu
When do summer classes begin?
Are housing accommodations and meals provided during Summer School Orientation?
- Housing accommodations and meals are NOT provided during Summer School Orientation
- University residence halls officially open on Saturday, June 1, 2013, at 9 a.m.
- For more information refer to Division of Housing and Food Service or call 512-471-3136
Is parking provided during Summer School Orientation?
- New Student Services does NOT provide free parking during Summer School Orientation
- Parking is available at a hourly rate per entry at the UT Austin garages
- Information regarding UT Parking Garages and hourly rates can be found at http://www.utexas.edu/parking
Will I be able to take placement tests?
- Placement and credit by examination are offered during Summer School Orientation
- To sign up for placement tests or if you have questions regarding placement testing, contact CTL-Student Testing Services or call 512-232-2662 for assistance
What if I need accommodations due to a disability?
- Contact Services for Student with Disabilities (SSD), at 512-471-6259 or 512-410-6644 (Video Phone), Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
- SSD assists students with AD/HD, learning disabilities, medical conditions, physical disabilities, visual disabilities, psychological disabilities, traumatic brain injuries, autistic spectrum disorder and temporary disabilities, as well as students who are deaf and hard of hearing
- Requests for accessible copies of orientation publications or interpreter services
- Submit request to New Student Services no less than two weeks before your assigned session
- New Student Services office hours: Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–5p.m., 512-471-3304
- Attendant care is not provided
- If you need special assistance during orientation testing
- Information must be on file with SSD
- Then contact CTL-Student Testing Services or call 512-232-2662
- Submit request no less than two weeks before your assigned session
Is transportation provided to or from campus, via the airport or bus terminal?
- New Student Services does not provide transportation to or from the airport or bus terminal
- Taxi, shuttle and bus services are available from the airport to the university campus for varying rates
- The Capital Metro Airport Flyer bus (Route #100) drops off and picks up at San Jacinto and 21st Street
- Refer to www.capmetro.org for information regarding rates and schedules
- Refer to Austin-Bergstrom Airport's, Parking and/or Ground Transportation links for information on various transportation services
Where do I register online for Summer School Orientation?
- Look for one of UT Austin's guard stations
- Guard stations are located near almost every campus entrance
- Guards at these stations will be able to direct you accordingly
For orientation questions, contact New Student Services via email or by telephone at 512-471-3304. NSS is open Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
New Student Services
The University of Texas at Austin
If you are unable to open the PDF above download Adobe Acrobat Reader