Help for Harvey
In partnership with the Student Government, this page will list the opportunities Longhorns create to help respond to Hurricane Harvey.
This page will continue to be updated as new donation drives, fundraising opportunities, and volunteer opportunities become available through the creativity and heart of our campus.
Campus-Wide Donation Drive
We are pleased to announce a campus-wide donation drive in partnership with Central Texas Food Bank. In addition to the food bank's standard items, they have prioritized the following items for hurricane relief efforts.
- Large or small deodorant
- Soap (either bar or liquid)
- Paper towels
- Paper plates
- Plastic cutlery
- Wet wipe / baby wipe packs
- Ziploc bags
- Creamy peanut butter
- Squeeze grape and strawberry Jelly
- Black beans (if canned, prefer those with pop top); dry beans are fine, too
- Chunk light tuna in water (pop-top can or easy open package)
- Beef stew (pop-top can)
UT Donation Sites
We have 30 sites across campus to drop off your donations. Look for the Central Texas Food Bank box at these locations:
- Black Studies, WCAAAS-AADS-IUPRA, College of Liberal Arts (COLA), Gordon-White Building, GWB 2.116
- Center for Asian American Studies and Center for Women's and Gender Studies, COLA, Burdine Building, BUR 536
- The Commons Café in The Commons Building at the UT Pickle Research Campus
- Community Engagement Center, Division of Diversity and Community Engagement (DDCE), 1009 East 11th Street, 2nd Floor, Austin, TX 78702
- DDCE Community and External Relations, Main Building, MAI 22
- Dell Medical School, Health Learning Building, HLB Ground Floor, Front Lobby
- Dell Medical School, Health Transformation Building, HTB 10th Floor, Communications Team Space
- Duren Hall, University Residence Hall Association, Housing and Food Service, Division of Student Affairs, Front Desk
- Gender and Sexuality Center, DDCE, Student Activity Center, SAC 2.112
- Graduate Student Assembly, Office of the Dean of Students, Division of Student Affairs, Student Activity Center, SAC 3.102
- Gregory Gym, Recreational Sports, Division of Student Affairs, 2101 Speedway, Front Lobby
- Hogg Foundation for Mental Health, DDCE, 3001 Lake Austin Blvd., 4th Floor, Austin, TX 78703
- Jester East, University Residence Hall Association, Housing and Food Service, Division of Student Affairs, Front Desk
- Jester West, University Residence Hall Association, Housing and Food Service, Division of Student Affairs, Front Desk
- Kinsolving Hall, University Residence Hall Association, Housing and Food Service, Division of Student Affairs, Front Desk
- Latino Studies, CMAS-MALS-LRI, COLA, Gordon White Building, GWB 2.104
- Longhorn Center for Academic Excellence and Longhorn Center for Community Engagement, DDCE, Student Services Building, SSB 4.400
- Multicultural Engagement Center, DDCE, Student Activity Center, SAC 1.102
- Office of the Vice President for Diversity and Community Engagement, Main Building, MAI 12
- Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs, Flawn Academic Center, FAC 302
- Perry Castañeda Library, UT Libraries, PCL Entryway
- Recreational Sports Center, Recreational Sports, Division of Student Affairs, 2001 San Jacinto Blvd, Front Lobby
- San Jacinto Hall, University Residence Hall Association, Housing and Food Service, Division of Student Affairs, Front Desk
- Senate of College Councils, Office of the Dean of Students, Division of Student Affairs, Student Government Office, Student Activity Center, SAC 2.102
- Student Activity Center, University Unions, Division of Student Affairs, SAC Hospitality Desk
- Student Government Association, Office of the Dean of Students, Division of Student Affairs, Student Government Office, Student Activity Center, SAC 2.102
- Student Services Building, Division of Student Affairs, SSB Information Desk, by the Pharmacy
- Texas Exes, Etter-Harbin Alumni Center, 2110 San Jacinto Boulevard, Austin, TX 78712
- Texas Union Building, University Unions, Division of Student Affairs, UNB Hospitality Desk, across from Starbucks
- University Interscholastic League (UIL), DDCE, 1701 Manor Road, Austin, Texas 78722
- University of Texas Elementary School, DDCE, 2200 E 6th St, Austin, TX 78702
- West Pickle Research Building atrium
Chabad Jewish Student Organization Hurricane Harvey Relief Effort
In the wake of Hurricane Harvey, we are looking for student volunteers to take a day trip to Houston to help the Jewish community.
Who: Jewish Longhorns and friends
What: Boots-on-the-ground help for Hurricane Harvey relief
Where: Meet in front of UT Chabad at 8:30 a.m. and plan to leave at 9 a.m. SHARP
When: Sunday, September 3rd
Please sign up by Saturday night at 10 p.m.: http://chabadut.com/hurricane
Zeta Beta Tau Fundraiser at Fat Sal's
This Tuesday, September 9/5, the Zeta Beta Tau chapter is hosting a fundraising event at Fat Sal's from 5-9 p.m. A portion of every meal purchased will go towards supporting Hurricane Harvey relief efforts.
Black Student Alliance Donation Drive
In partnership with the students of Huston-Tillotson University, the Black Student Alliance is accepting the following donations in the Gordon-White Building (GWB 3.130):
- Baby Formula
- Baby Wipes
- First Aid Kits
- Sanitary Products
- Non-perishable food items
- Cleaning Supplies
- School Supplies
- Cleaning Masks
Campus Environmental Center, Geography Society, and Urban Studies Society Fundraiser
The Campus Environmental Center, Geography Society, and Urban Studies Society are tabling to fund raise for smaller charities and disaster relief efforts. We are focusing on helping smaller communities and marginalized groups throughout the Gulf Coast of Texas.
We will be tabling from September 7 to September 13 to collect cash donations.
Give to the Student Emergency Fund
The Student Emergency Fund is supporting student needs to replace textbooks and school supplies for students who are affected by Harvey. The Student Emergency Fund is entirely donation-based and your support will help us continue to serve students recovering from Harvey as well as students facing urgent and emergency situations in the future. Give Here.
LBJ Alumni Share Volunteer Opportunities and Relief Efforts
Hurricane Harvey has ravaged the Texas coast, leaving thousands of people in need. Many LBJ School alumni have shared ways to help. Please check out the following volunteer organizations and relief efforts.
Liberal Arts Council Donation Drive
Please consider donating menstrual hygiene products, unopened school supplies, sports bras, diapers, clothing, shoes, toys, coloring books, extension cords, flashlights, snacks, bags, t-shirts, and empty cardboard boxes. There are bins located in the Dies Center of the CLA to drop off donations.
Longhorn Center for Community Engagement Downtown Donation Drive
Marvin C. Griffin Building
1009 E. 11th Street
Student Bar Association Donation, Volunteer and Fundraising Drive
The Student Bar Association is collecting items in the Law School. We are in touch with the SBAs at Houston-area law schools and will work together to organize a day of service in Houston later this month.
Student Government Donation Drive
Hurricane Harvey has left much devastation in its wake, which has impacted thousands of UT students. To support these students, UT Student Government has organized a donation drive across campus to collect supplies that will be donated to distribution centers in Houston. Please consider helping your fellow students and their families by donating. Any donation will help, but please refrain from articles of clothing. We do have a list of items in the highest demand by flooding victims, which includes: Packing paper, bubble wrap, moving boxes, packing tape, paper towels, Lysol, Clorox Wipes, gloves, bleach, water, trash bags, plastic bags, peanut butter, and crackers/cereal.
Boxes will be set out at different locations on campus to collect donations.
Student Volunteers for Note-Taking
University Democrats Hurricane Relief Donation Drive
University Democrats is hosting a donation drive to supply victims of Hurricane Harvey. We invite students wishing to donate to drop off their items at our table in West Mall between 9:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. during the next two weeks.
In our conversations with various persons on the ground assisting in the disaster relief, the following items have been listed as essential needed items:
- Canned or nonperishable food
- Bottled water
- Personal care items
- Disposable baby diapers
- Packaged socks or underwear
- Baby food/formula
- Cleaning supplies
- Heavy rubber kitchen gloves
- Non-sterile surgical gloves
- Mops (new)
- Brooms (new)
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. Hurricane Harvey Donation Drive
Requested Donations: school supplies, first aid supplies, toothbrushes, toothpaste, feminine products, shampoo / conditioner, socks, blankets, towels, diapers, formula, clothes, packaged food
Dropoff location: X Lounge (Jester) and the Student Government (SAC 2.102)
If you have a listing you would like to add to this page, contact Sara Kennedy, manager of strategic and executive communications for the Office of the Dean of Students at firstname.lastname@example.org.