The Student Emergency Fund
Entirely dependent upon donations, the Student Emergency Fund is available due to the generous donations of Texas Parents, alumni, students at the Party on the Plaza and Spring into Giving events, and faculty and staff support during the Hearts of Texas Campaign.
The Emergency Fund provides limited emergency financial assistance to currently enrolled students who are unable to meet immediate, essential expenses because of temporary hardship related to an emergent situation.
Average award amounts range from $25 to $250 per student and are typically awarded once. Decisions regarding disbursement of funds will be made on a case-by-case bases and are at the discretion of Student Emergency Services (SES) staff. Funds are not considered loans and do not require repayment to the university. Some funds are counted as income and are therefore subject to federal taxes.
Types of Covered Expenses
A range of incidents may cause financial hardships. Typical expenses that may be covered include, but are not limited to:
- Medications/Prescriptions or costs related to medical care
- Assistance with rent or utilities due to emergency situation
- Books, fees or other school-related expenses
- Safety related needs (i.e., changing a lock on vehicle or home)
- Replacement of personal belongings due to fire or natural disaster
- Applicant must be a currently enrolled student at The University of Texas at Austin and have temporary financial hardship resulting from an emergency situation
- Other possible resources have been considered and are not available or insufficient
- Be able to provide sufficient documentation of financial hardship
For a list of additional campus and community resources, click here.
- For more information and to schedule an appointment, contact Student Emergency Services at 512-471-5017 or http://deanofstudents.utexas.edu/emergency/appointment_form.php.
- Complete an application and bring appropriate documentation to your meeting with Student Emergency Services staff.
- If approved, you will be notified of the fund amount and the money will be deposited in your account (if this option is available). Alternatively, a check will be available for pick-up from the Office of the Dean of Students.