Travel to China as a UT Peace Ambassador
Legends of China: The Silk Road to the Future
2015 Details Coming Soon!
The Division of Student Affairs proudly presents a cultural and educational exchange program, offered through the Office of the Dean of Students, which provides an opportunity for students, faculty and staff from The University of Texas at Austin to experience and gain a better understanding of international cultures, economies and educational systems. With the goal of exposing participants to diverse cultures to improve awareness and appreciation of the vibrancy and diversity of these increasingly important players in the global economy, the Legends of China: The Silk Road to the Future offers enriching opportunities to provide students at The University of Texas at Austin with a variety of real-world opportunities for personal growth and enrichment outside the classroom.
Trip details for 2015 Excursions are forthcoming, but take a look below at what we offered participants in 2014:
Globalization in Education
The 2014 program, Silk Road to the Future, partners with the Beijing Educational Committee and the Legends of China Foundation. Participating students, faculty and staff are offered opportunities for profound academic dialogue, increased cultural awareness and interaction with peers, while touring historical sites and visiting Beijing's finest universities.
As the world becomes increasingly interconnected, via global markets and technologies, it is becoming increasingly important for today's students to be citizens of the world. Since 2001, the University of California and other elite universities have sent over 3,500 students, faculty and staff to China as Ambassadors of Peace. Through these unique learning opportunities, UT Austin students gain first-hand insight into the cultures and developing economies of China, as well as having an opportunity to dialogue with their international peers.
Trips are open to all UT Austin students, faculty and staff, as well as family members (if accompanied by the individual affiliated with the university). The Office of the Dean of Students invites all interested students, faculty and staff to participate in the 2014 program as Peace Ambassadors.
Please note: These trips are not for academic credit.
Four trips to choose from. Prices range from approximately $1,991 to $3,995
Cities include Beijing, Hangzhou, Suzhou, Xian, Shanghai, Hong Kong.
New Trip option for 2014: Saigon, Vietnam!!
Price includes international and domestic (in China) airline tickets, 4/5 star hotels, 3 meals/day, ground transportation, educational programs, historical site tours and tickets, travel insurance and guides.
July 2014 Trip Highlights
- New Trip Option to Vietnam!
- Silk Road Celebration and Award in Beijing
- Academic Match Program (for faculty)
- Internship Match Program (for students)
- Research Match Program (for all interested participants)
- Teaching Match Program (for all interested participants)
- Meet your counterparts, visit top universities
- Educational and cultural exchange programs (seminars, etc.)
- Visit the Great Wall, Forbidden City and other 5,000-year-old artifacts of civilization
Become a UT Peace Ambassador
Eligibility requirements to become a UT Peace Ambassador:
- Must have a valid Passport and Visa during trip (http://world.utexas.edu/passport);
- Must be in good standing with the university;
- Highly recommend attending at least one of the information sessions;
- Must obtain at least one month of international health insurance that will cover the duration of the trip;
- Must agree to follow all Legends of China and UT Austin rules;
- Must submit UT Peace Ambassador Application; and
- Must create a silk banner that will be displayed at the Legends of China Banner Award Ceremony (silk material provided).
Legends of China 2014 Registration Procedures:
- Submit The University of Texas at Austin Legends of China Peace Ambassador Application by March 17, 2014. Please note, to register for the trip you must first obtain approval from the university. You will receive notification within five business days regarding the status of your application.
- Once you have received approval to be a UT Peace Ambassador, complete the Legends of China: Silk Road to the Future 2014 Registration Form, available at
- Bring your Legends of China Registration Form to the Office of the Dean of Students (SSB 4.104) to have it signed by the campus coordinator. (You will need to leave your form and return at a later time to pick it up. Forms will be signed and ready for pickup within one business day.)
- Mail your completed Legends of China application and trip payment to the address listed on the form by April 1, 2014.
You should receive an e-mail confirmation from Legends of China within two weeks from the date on which you mailed your form.
- Obtain a visa to visit China.
Please attend one of the information sessions below to get all the details!
- Tuesday, February 25, 2014: 5:30 pm – 6:30 pm - Student Services Building (SSB 4.492)
- Wednesday, February 26, 2014: 5:00 pm – 6:00 pm - Student Services Building (SSB 4.492)
- Wednesday, March 5, 2014: 5:00 pm – 6:00 pm - Student Services Building (SSB 4.492)
- Monday, March 17, 2014: 5:00 pm – 6:00 pm – Student Activity Center (SAC 1.118)
If you are unable to attend any of these sessions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
UT Peace Ambassador Application: March 17, 2014 Apply Now!
LOC Registration form (must be signed by the Office of the Dean of Students Campus Coordinator) April 1, 2014. You must have first completed the UT Peace Ambassador form before submitting this application.
The Legends of China application deadline is April 1, 2014.
If you are unable to open the Word doc above download Microsoft Word viewer.