Legends of China
The Division of Student Affairs proudly presents a cultural and educational exchange program, offered through the Office of the Dean of Students, which aims to enrich the educational journey by providing opportunities for students from around the world to share their stories, vision and learning experiences with students from The University of Texas at Austin.
Globalization in Education
The 2013 program, Silk Road to the Future, is in partnership with the Beijing Educational Committee and the Legends of China Foundation. Participating students, faculty and staff are offered opportunities for profound academic dialogue, increased cultural awareness and interaction with peers, while touring historical sites and visiting Beijing's finest universities.
Since 2001, the University of California and other elite universities have sent over 3,500 students, faculty and staff to China as Ambassadors of Peace. The Office of the Dean of Students invites all interested students, faculty and staff to participate in the 2013 program as Peace Ambassadors.
Become a UT Peace Ambassador
(click image for larger version)
Eligibility requirements to become a UT Peace Ambassador:
- Must submit UT Peace Ambassador Application;
- Must have a valid Passport and Visa during trip;
- Must be in good standing with the university;
- Highly recommend attending at least one of the information sessions;
- Must obtain at least one month of international health insurance that will cover the duration of the trip;
- Must agree to follow all Legends of China and UT Austin rules; and
- Must create a silk banner that will be displayed at the Legends of China Banner Award Ceremony (silk material provided).
Legends of China 2013 Registration Procedures:
- Submit The University of Texas at Austin Legends of China Peace Ambassador Application by March 8, 2013. Please note, to register for the trip you must first obtain approval from the university.
- You will receive notification within five business days regarding the status of your application.
- Once you have received approval to be a UT Peace Ambassador, complete the Legends of China: Silk Road to the Future 2013 Registration Form, available at http://www.legendsofchina.com/formdownload.html.
Bring your Legends of China Registration Form to the Office of the Dean of Students (SSB 4.104) to have it signed by the campus coordinator. (You will need to leave your form and return at a later time to pick it up. Forms will be signed and ready for pickup within one business day.)
- Mail your completed Legends of China application and trip payment to the address listed on the form by April 1, 2013.
- You should receive an e-mail confirmation from Legends of China within two weeks from the date on which you mailed your form.
- Obtain a visa to visit China.
- Monday, January 28: noon – 1:00 pm – SSB G 1.310 (Glen Maloney Room)
- Wednesday, January 30: noon – 1:00 pm – SAC 1.106
- Monday, February 4: 5:00 – 6:00pm – SAC 3.114 (Executive Conference Room)
- Wednesday, Feb 13: 3:00 – 4:00 pm - SSB G 1.310 (Glen Maloney Room)
- Monday, February 18: 5:00 – 6:00pm - SAC 1.118
- Thursday, February 21: 5:00 – 6:00 pm – SAC 1.118
To learn more, visit www.legendsofchina.com or contact the Office of the Dean of Students at 512-471-5017, or by e-mail at email@example.com.
July 2013 Trip Highlights
- Silk Road Celebration and Award in Beijing
- Academic Match Program (for faculty)
- Internship Match Program (for students)
- Research Match Program (for all interested participants)
- Teaching Match Program (for all interested participants)
- Meet your counterparts, visit top universities
- Educational and cultural exchange programs (seminars, etc.)
- Visit the Great Wall, Forbidden City and other 5,000-year-old artifacts of civilization
- UT Peace Ambassador Application: March 8, 2013
- LOC Registration form (must be signed by the Office of the Dean of Students Campus Coordinator) April 1, 2013
For more information, please visit www.legendsofchina.com
Five trips to choose from. Prices range from approximately $1,899 to $3,471.
Cities include Beijing, Hangzhou, Suzhou, Xian, Shanghai and Hong Kong.
Price includes international and domestic (in China) airline tickets, 4/5 star hotels, 3 meals/day, ground transportation, educational programs, historical site tours and tickets, travel insurance and guides.
The Legends of China Registration Form and a detailed program information sheet are available at www.legendsofchina.com
The UT Austin Peace Ambassador Application is due March 8, 2013.
The Legends of China application deadline is April 1, 2013.